Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chapter 3 (Repost w/ Quote)



In this chapter, we read a further elaboration on Web 2.0 tools. Some Web 2.0 only requires an internet connection. Tools such as Wikipedia, for example, allow for others to edit the information at any given moment (which is why, I do not recommend using this for a research project). With tools like YouTube, Google docs, and so many others of this nature, people may return to projects at any time. Web 2.0 tools also allow one to create tags which are essentially key words and cues that help classify content. I’m not sure if this would be considered a Web 2.0 tool, but there are some USB drives that offer additional online storage with them, thus giving you extra space to store other things. The three basic web 2.0 tools are blogs, podcasts, and wikis. Blogs and podcasts can be serve multiple purposes and be used to business, education, government and health organizations. Podcasting consist of streaming several multimedia files together such as music or speeches then sending them to a mobile phone or web source. From a web source others can leave comments or do responses themselves (in the same way YouTube bloggers can do response videos to another video). Bookmarking sites take the place of saving favorites on a personal computer, and allow one to “bookmark” sites online that they would like to go back to later on.
It was hard to find a passage to related to the most especially when reading about podcasting, wikis, and blogging, however after thinking about it, I decided that I related most to the passage on Blogging because I’ve been doing it for some time now, and blogging can be used for so many things. They can be used to rant, advertise, promote or educate. Primarily I blog if I want to vent, however, there are times when I blog about a news story to inform others of something that is happening in any given area. Blogging sites include Live Journal, MySpace, Blogger (which I am getting used to), and Facebook (on Facebook blogs are called “notes”). Blogging and podcasting can be lumped together because sometimes, in the case of a celebrity blogger, one would rather blog audibly versus typing it out. When blogging audibly one can better convey the message and that is one aspect of blogging that I personally am venturing off into. I’m trying to get into the YouTube video blogging area, which is slowly coming along.  For me blogging includes events, vacations, school stories, rants, likes, dislikes and open questioning where I discuss and event and I ask my audience a question on whatever I blogged about and have them give responses. One thing that I was not aware of is the popularity of blogging. I had some idea that it was used by many, however  based on what I've read, Business 2.0 magazine states that by the summer of 2006, there were 50 million blogs. Sloan & Kaihla further state that "two new ones are launched every second" (2006).

NETS STANDARD
6. Technology Operations and Concepts
Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations. Students:

1.       Understand and use technology systems.

2. Select and use applications effectively and productively.

3. Troubleshoot systems and applications.

4. Transfer current knowledge to the learning of new technologies.
NETS STANDARD

NETS(S)

6. Technology Operations and Concepts

Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts,

systems, and operations. Students:


1.       Understand and use technology systems.

2. Select and use applications effectively and productively.

3. Troubleshoot systems and applications.

4. Transfer current knowledge to the learning of new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment